Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tulip Festival

Last Thursday, I went to work in the morning and then I hung out with one of my friends. We went to Target because I had a baby shower and a bridal shower to go to in the next couple of days. We were also going to go to Kohl's but we got worn out at Target and the kiddos were sick of shopping, for sure. So we went home and parted ways. But I had plans to buy a cute sweater at Kohl's and I had a $10 off coupon and it was going to expire soon. I started to think of when I could make it over there before the coupon became trash. I had 30 minutes before Sam needed to be picked up from school. So I headed to Kohl's.
As I pulled into the parking spot I saw something there so I was careful not to drive over it. When I got out there was a dirty little purse right outside my door, on the ground. I picked it up and opened it and it was stocked full with a wad of cash. At first I thought I was on that What Would You Do show with John Quinones. Have you ever seen that show? Anyway, I headed into the store and after looking at the ID, had the owner of the purse paged. She didn't come over. So I went to grab my cute sweater, which had been marked down another 15% so it was down to 65% off. Then I went back over to where I had her paged and paid for the sweater. With the $10 off I got if for $8!!!! What a deal!!! So I asked if the purse owner had ever come over. The clerk said no, so I asked if I could leave my name and number for her since I found her purse in the parking lot. She called her manager who called the loss prevention dude because the two girls thought I should leave it there with them. I wasn't about to do that. It would get stashed somewhere and I know they are busy so it wasn't guaranteed that they would have time to try and contact her. And since I found it in the parking lot I thought there was a good chance that she never even made it into the store and so wouldn't think to check there. The loss prevention dude couldn't have cared less, so I walked out with the purse.
Once home, I rifled through it and found a clue. This clue led me to believe she worked at Thanksgiving Point. First, Matt looked up her name and address and found me a phone number to try. By the message it didn't sound like it was her number but I left a message anyway. Then I looked up Thanksgiving Point. There are 47 phone numbers for that place.... Which to choose.... I chose wisely and the first person I spoke to knew her and took my number to give to her. She called right away and came to pick up the purse. When she got here she told me she didn't even go to Kohl's... Like I thought. I'm glad I stuck to my gut instinct and kept it with me. Agatha Christie would have been so proud of my investigative skills!
She was really nice and gave me some passes to the tulip festival. We are so grateful to have been able to go for free. I think we'll have to make it a yearly event. Though it would have cost us a pretty penny to get 6 of us in there. I'll start saving now for next year, or maybe I'll find her purse again! Be sure to look below at the pictures I took. And then scroll down even farther to see my brother Peter and his fiance, Whitney, rolling down the grass amphitheatre. It's kinda weird.....

6 comments:

Jeanna said...

I wanted to go to the festival so bad this year, but alas I couldn't afford it and I didn't find any grimy purses at Kohl's! Darn!

I did, however, find a great deal at Kohl's the last time I went. I got a sweet shirt for $9 and it is super pretty. (Maybe I'll wear it next Friday to the bridal shower?)

I lost my diaper bag once and at the bottom was my wallet. Just when I thought (a couple months later) that I would have to replace all my ID (there was no money or credit cards in the wallet) I got a call from a hobby shop. This was in Denver by the way. They had my bag. I had never even been in that store, but I had been in a nearby pizza place. When they finally rifled through my bag they found my wallet and called. I was SOOOo grateful.

Holley said...

I dub you Citizen of the Year! That was such a great thing you did. What a great example to set for Sam. You got a wonderful family outing due to your honesty and your deductive reasoning skills!

The pictures are gorgeous!!!

Kathy said...

that is a great story!

The Yuan Fam said...

Oh wait....I always wish I lived in Utah so I could do EVERYTHING with you. (refer to comment after Pete and Whitney rolling down the hill)

Michelle said...

Wow!

Jeanna said...

Also, I really, really, really like your pics. So beautiful!