Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Book Review - Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt

Wednesday Wars was written by the same author as Lizzie Bright And The Buckminster Boy. I started doing a joint review and then I realized that I already reviewed Lizzie.... It's OK, I'm back to reality now.
So, Wednesday Wars is another one of those books that I will buy and read every year. It's set in the 1960's during the Vietnam War. The main character is in 7th grade and as the only student who is a Protestant in his class he gets left behind - alone - every Wednesday while all the others are bussed to Hebrew School or Catechism. Charged with teenage love (or hate "They are the same thing in the 7th grade") and the issues of the day, an awkward student teacher relationship and the relationships of families, it is a truly good read. And very clean. I laughed, I cried, I cried some more and then I laughed again and then of course I was a little teary at the end. And I miss the characters, they were great. I highly recommend everyone to go and check this one out.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I want to know more about your list of "books to read ever year" Have you ever posted that list? I know it grows all the time but I'd be interested in seeing your past reads that you like to read every year and do you really read them every year? you are so cool!

Emily said...

i think i'm going to pick this for my book club? good idea?