Friday, January 25, 2008

A Year and A Half

Well, it's been a year and a half. We still don't have window treatments on any of the windows, but lucky for our neighbors, the house came with blinds. It's a small townhouse and it needs new carpet too but I feel so lucky have a cute house in such good condition.
Home ownership has been interesting. One of my favorite adventures was when the pantry door, which is accordion style, fell off it's track. Being in the laundry room/mudroom the track bent because I had opened the door too many times while it was crowded with laundry waiting to be folded. The door fell off and we had instant anxiety. But because we are geniuses we just took the track off turned it around so the part that was bent out of shape was on the other side where it didn't matter and then we put the door back on. All in 15 minutes. I was so proud of us.
18 months and I still feel so grateful, on a daily basis for my house, and I'm pretty sure I always will be. As many of you know my parents have patient and generous hearts and they let us live with them for 4YEARS! I still can't believe we did that to them for so long. And I'm sure it was harder for them than it was for us.
The biggest adjustment has been for Sam. He is a lonely boy now. He went from living with 7, sometimes more people. Including a grandma who had no problem giving him hot chocolate for breakfast every morning. I remember when we first moved in and Sam was only about 15 months old. My mom wooed him by taking him to her room everyday after work and giving him M&Ms. Need less to say, they became the best of friends. Then she wondered why he would wake up so early to see her before she went to work and why he woke her up on Saturdays instead of me. He's no dummy.
I am so grateful for all the blessings I have. My great home, my family - immediate and extended, amazing friends, our jobs, our reliable cars, and peace we receive from the knowledge we have of Christ's gospel. Even though our house may seem dangerously close to what I call the smelliest lake in the world, I pray we are building our foundation on a solid Rock.

7 comments:

Jeanna said...

I love your house too. We always feel so warm and welcome there and it is because of you, Matt and Sam. Congrats on 1 1/2 years, may there be many, many years of house ownership bliss for you all.

P.s. We would love to double date and take you on a drive! Let's make sure we schedule something soon.

Amalia said...

That was nice to read. I remember you telling me about Sam and the hot chocolate! :) I too feel grateful. It is so hard to afford a home now, I think it amazing that we have a place at our age (especially in the Bay Area), but anywhere because it is so expensive and a constant investment. I am so glad you guys have your own place because that is important. I'm sure you appreciate it even more since you didn't have your own for so long. BTW I love reading your blog!

Holley said...

I know what you mean about finally having a "HOME" of your own. It is wonderful to have a place to grow and learn together and create those wonderful family memories. May you and Matt always be so happy!

Kim said...

Awesome. You have such a grateful heart. You're a good example to me.

Becky said...

I'm jealous. I can't see us ever affording a place of our own. But, one day...maybe...

I think since you guys bought you're house that you are the happiest you have EVER been. You seem very content and happy and grateful and those are all excellent attributes.

The Wells said...

I remember the painting party. I hope you never want to change the red!!:)

Matthew Johnson said...

Having a house is great!!! And it wasn't quite 4 years in your parents basement...........that gives me some comfort.