Monday, January 21, 2008

Book Review - Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen. What else do I have to say? I found this book to be very enjoyable. Cute story, great characters, very witty. I have said before that Jane Austin is one of the funniest authors. I loved Mrs. Palmer and how she makes a statement and then contradicts herself in the next breath. Hilarious! There were some slow parts, but I am contributing those to the fact that my book was so heavy and awkward, but I won't get into that again. And though the happy ending is predictable there is something to be said for a happy ending. It just feels good. It took me longer to read than I like, but Jane Austen is just like that for me. Pride a Prejudice still holds a special place in my heart as a favorite, but I absolutely recommend Sense and Sensibility.

2 comments:

KordelandHeather said...

Okay, I need some convincing. Last month I read Emma and Pride and Prejudice. LOVED P&P, but I've been afraid to read Sense and Sensibility due to not liking the movie. I didn't like the movie because I associated so much more with the main character's younger sister whom I felt got STUCK with the old man. Felt it was completely UNFAIR and mean of Jane to do that to her. So you need to convince me better that it's worth the read. Oh, and are you liking Kite Runner? I was loving that book last year when I read it (esp since some of it took place in the Bay Area), but then when I got to the one part, I struggled so much! I finished the book but still was frustrated. I'm interested to hear your review.

Julie J. said...

Heather, I am actually reading A Thousand Splendid Suns right now which is by the same author as The Kite Runner. I have read the Kite Runner and I really enjoyed it. Yes, there is a seriously tragic event in the Kite Runner, but I thought the story and the authors insight into living with regret was amazing and insightful. As for Sense and Sensibility - You may not like the book if you didn't like the movie. I haven't seen the movie in a really long time, so I can't really compair them.... But in the book, the fact that the younger sister ends up with the older guy has nothing to do with the older sister. He was never in love with the older sister but was in love with the younger all along. I'm glad to hear that you loved P&P!